Thursday, July 17, 2008

I remember

It's funny when moments of your children learning the ins and outs of life surface to give you the giggles. I remember one such time with Lucas, my oldest son.

He must have been about 10 years old, and the mullet was a true fashionable hair-do...egads...shades of Billy Ray Cyrus!

He was quite a vibrant little guy. He was quick-witted and he is still one of the funniest people I know. He speaks the truth with whimsy. He is gifted with his physical comedy. I always felt like I was watching a live cartoon. He reminded me of Calvin and Hobbes.

I was in the back yard pulling weeds and he was squinting into the sun. "Mom, can I get my ear pierced?" I realized he was being very sincere and hoping for the answer he wanted. I didn't just want to dash his hopes by saying a flat "no".

I told him when he was 16 years old, he could get his ear pierced. His shoulders dropped in disgust. In his true wry fashion, he grinned and said, "Awww, I will know better by then!"

No comments: